Friday, May 27, 2011

My first string quilt

I didnt start the Crumb Patch quilt yesterday.  It was storming really bad so I didnt even want to plug in my precious Viking.  So today I am going to share with you a string project I started just before my youngest son was born.  It took me about 7 months to machine piece and hand quilt.  I think there are about 600 triangles in it so there is well over 1000 pieces.  It is foundation pieced using muslin and uses wool batting.  The quilt is fairly lightly hand quilted (using a grey cotton verigated thread)with a zigzag and then with small stars.  I wanted the tied quilt feeling too so I finished it off by tying it with a neat multicolored 100% cotton yarn.  This quilt is about a twin.  I can't find a picture of the back though.  I usually free piece my quilt backs using larger scrap pieces.  I will have to make a blog post at some point just about that!

I named it Under the Stars.  After some washings, it has become so soft.  I love laying on it.  Right now, it is in my youngest son's room. 

For those of you who have made or like to make scrap quilts, what is your favorite scrappy quilt you have made?

2 comments:

  1. For your first string pieced quilt, that's fantastic. You asked what is my favorite scrap quilt. I can't really answer that - I pretty much love them all. I've made several and they are all different patterns. I do like the quilts that you have shown and will be trying them in the future. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy your blog.
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, the Quilt is so beautiful.I love all your Quilts. Sorry for my English.
    Now I will follow you on aour Blog . It`s so nice.
    Greatings Grit from Germany

    ReplyDelete